Friday’s Five

08/25/2017 13 Comments

Friday’s Five

08/25/2017 13 Comments

I realized this week that I’ve spent 8 summers in the flower shop, and this June marked the fifth anniversary of C and I taking over ownership from his parents and restarting the business in a new location. Those early days were incredibly stressful, but also really sweet because we were in it together. We jumped in with both feet and didn’t know a thing about flowers, accounting or being employers, and it’s crazy to look back on how much we learned and how far we’ve come! It’s still stressful — small business ownership is a rollercoaster of emotional ups and downs — but I’m so grateful for our little shop, our loyal team, and most of all, my husband, who always has my back, trusts all my crazy ideas, comforts me through the breakdowns I don’t let anyone else see, and teaches me about the value of integrity by his example every day. (He also makes sure all my various taxes are paid, and there are so many, so God bless him for that.)

Sometimes I wish we could rewind to those hard days six years ago and tell ourselves, “It’s all going to be okay! Just keep working hard, and things are going to turn out better than you can even imagine.”

And with all that mush, on to this week’s five things!

Peaches, Plums and Plumcots
For everyone out there who’s counting down to fall and posting Pumpkin recipes to Facebook, stahhhp it!! We still have plenty of sweet summertime left, as evidenced by this giant display of summer peaches and plums at the grocery store yesterday. I think I’ll make a peach cobbler this weekend!

ASOS Farleigh High Waist Modern Mom Jeans
I’m living in high-rise cropped denim this summer — I’m still taking scissors to the hems of all my jeans — and my husband hates my super-high-waist ASOS Farleighs almost a much as I love them.

Potted Succulents, Florida Cactus
It’s the summer of succulents at the flower shop since we discovered we can have them shipped to us in bulk from Florida Cactus. If you’re new to succulents or need help keeping them alive, check out this old post for tips on potting and maintenance!

Peach Sorbet Roses
We have an awesome open flower truck that comes to the shop three days a week, and every time they visit it’s a test of my willpower: buy only what we need. Sometimes I just can’t resist the temptation to splurge on something special, like these ‘peach sorbet’ roses, which have a lovely big bloom and lots of ruffled petals. (If you follow me on Instagram, you know I adore a ruffly rose!)

Stationery, Handwritten Letters, Rifle Paper Co Social Stationery Boxed Set
Last week, I received a surprise letter in the mail from a dear friend, and it reminded me how special it is to open a thoughtful, handwritten letter in this age of texts and emails. So instead of shooting her a thank you text, I sat down yesterday with a box of Rifle Paper stationery and wrote her back. It felt so nice to slow down for a minute, with a good pen and pretty paper, and  now I feel like I need a pen pal! :)

• preppypinkpiglet 09/03/2017 at 1:32 am

Lovely pics 🙂💖

• […] via Friday’s Five — Keira Lennox […]

• Friday’s Five – Keira Lennox 09/01/2017 at 4:29 pm

[…] almost a third of my life (!!) and they mean the world to me.  Remember the succulent pots from last Friday’s Five? Here they are in action in my friend Meg’s handmade macrame plant hangers, on display in her […]

• justagirlinashop 08/27/2017 at 6:08 pm

Those peaches are making my mouth water…

• Carolina 08/25/2017 at 3:39 pm

Keira,you do such a great job with your blog,I just love seeing your mail in my box!
    Just want you to have a good weekend and take care til next time.
    Blessings to you and yours!
    Carolina

• Vanessa C 08/25/2017 at 1:48 pm

I also love receiving snail mail, its so much more thoughtful than a text message. Too bad so many people (at least that I know) find it old fashioned and inconvenient to physically mail things nowadays :(

• Daniela Soriano 08/25/2017 at 12:13 pm

I really love your bag!!

• Lila ~ Stone & Thread 08/25/2017 at 11:48 am

This is so encouraging! Thanks for sharing… I freelance from home but recently started my own online boutique and have been anxious and nervous the entire time.
    Funny thing… it feels like the right thing and so far so good but then why is it so scary?

Have a great weekend!! 🌸

• Keira Lennox 08/28/2017 at 1:16 pm

Congratulations on starting your own business, Lila!! In my experience, if it doesn’t terrify you a little, you’re probably not doing it right. ;) And that fear never really goes away, but if you redirect it into motivation and hard work, you can put it to work for you.

• Lila ~ Stone & Thread 08/28/2017 at 1:33 pm

Thank you! I really appreciate the positivity! Nothing good gets accomplished in our comfort zones…;) At least not in my expereince… not to sound too cliche-y

• roberta m 08/25/2017 at 10:24 am

Congratulations on your anniversaries! Love the mushy stuff. :) And I am definitely going to buy a succulent this weekend. I’ve looked at them in the shops all summer and this post is pushing me to start. So many choices available–will definitely be reading your past post.

• Silex in the City 08/25/2017 at 9:48 am

Wowza. Cheers to 6 years! It seems like yesterday, I have been following your blog since then (and maybe even before) too! Yes, yes, yes…#StayForeverSummer. Although, I did buy two Fall items yesterday but they are stowed away until Fall arrives. I still have a few Summer bucket list items to tackle here!

• Peter Adewumi 08/25/2017 at 9:42 am