Friday’s Five

10/13/2017 12 Comments
Friday's Five, Pink Mondial Roses

Friday’s Five Things that made me happy this week.

10/13/2017 12 Comments

Mango Calla Lilies

I’m seven years in to #floristlife and it still amazes me how quickly we switch gears from a slow and lazy summer pace to full-blown craziness when we turn the calendar over to September. I still can’t believe it’s October — partly because it’s still 90+ degrees down here, please send ya girl a cold front! — but our busy season is officially here. We designed three small weddings last weekend, worked on three more this week, and have a packed schedule through the end of December. I’m looking forward to having a great finish to the year and then sending 2017 off into the sunset. (I’ll probably give her the finger as she goes.)

1. Fall flowers.

It just doesn’t get much better than the rich colors and textures of the season. It’s one of my favorite times of the year around the flower shop!

2. Audiobooks.

I’m in love with the Audible app, and spend as much time as I can listening to all kinds of books; I play them in the car, around the house, on walks with the dog, during downtime at the shop, and even while I’m falling asleep. I’ll work on a list of some of my favorites from my library to share soon, but in the meantime, I’ll leave you with this: the audio version of the Harry Potter series is wonderful.

3. My gratitude journal.

Sometime last month, I began writing down little lists of things that make me happy and grateful. It was one part of a self-care routine I started to get my mind and spirit back on track after an anxiety-filled spring and summer.

They live in a tiny journal in my nightstand so I can take a few quiet moments to jot them down when I start or end my day. Keeping an inventory of the positive things in my life gives me perspective and helps break the loop of negative/obsessive/fear-based thoughts that my anxious mind conjures up, and they’re handy to look back on when I have a rough day and “can’t see the forest for the trees.”

4. Finishing our fall windows.

Window dressing is not my favorite chore, mostly because I want our storefront to look like Anthropologie window displays — paper flowers! branches suspended from the ceiling! giant papier-mâché  confections! — and I have a perfectionist’s champagne taste on a beer budget. So when I check them off my to-do list, it’s a happy victory. They’re big ol’ windows, y’all!

A snap of the work-in-progress. That cute ‘thankful’ sign was a TJ Maxx find!

5. A return to calm focus.

I took advantage of the slow season this summer and snuck away from the shop as much as possible. I needed some time to rest and recharge my batteries, so I left my amazing team in charge and spent a lot of quiet time alone at home. It took a while for me to let go of the guilt of not being at work, and then a while more to actually relax… and then, eventually, the full-body tension I carried for months started to melt away. I’m so glad I gave myself a break to clear my head, reprioritize, and find some fresh motivation.

• Emeline 11/05/2017 at 4:05 pm

Jim Dale (narrates HP) is awesome!!!

• TheFallibleQueen 10/17/2017 at 1:42 am

Your window display looks beautiful. I’m glad you made time for yourself and I love the flowers in fall too, they are simply beautiful.

• Keira Lennox 10/23/2017 at 5:48 pm

Thank you! The season goes so quickly, so I’m trying to enjoy them while I can. Then it’s all red and white flowers around the shop through Valentine’s Day. Ha!

• TheFallibleQueen 10/25/2017 at 12:46 am

you are welcome! lol yeah I bet, red roses get so popular around valentine’s day.

• Erin C. 10/15/2017 at 4:55 pm

I love the idea of keeping your gratitude journals right next to bed. I should do that so I can reach for journals instead of my phone first thing in the morning!

• Keira Lennox 10/23/2017 at 5:45 pm

This is a habit I’m trying to break, too! I’m working on not allowing myself to open Instagram until I’m at the shop and have a few things checked off my to-do list. It’s amazing how much more focused I feel when I don’t start my day with the mindless scrolling.

• Erin C. 10/26/2017 at 10:17 am

I use it as a procrastination method to avoid getting out of bed and starting my day. But if I can convince myself to just move to the living room and snuggle up with blankets, I can watch the sun rise from the couch and a hot cup of tea. That makes me a lot happier than opening instagram!

• […] via Friday’s Five — Keira Lennox […]

• Isabel 10/13/2017 at 4:31 pm

It’s so nosy but I love these little sneak peeks into every day life. Audible is amazing, don’t know how I ever commuted or did every day chores without it! The window display is looking lovely, and I love how the reflection shows such a darling street. Can’t believe we’re in the time of year to look to Thanksgiving already. Seems like this year went by faster than any other, but I’m with you in that I won’t be sorry to see it go.

• Keira Lennox 10/23/2017 at 5:47 pm

If being nosy is wrong, I don’t wanna be right, Isabel! Ha! ;) I love reading these kinds of posts on blogs too, and I’m glad you enjoy them.

If you have any good recommendations from your Audible library, I’d love to hear them!

• Isabel 11/08/2017 at 10:43 pm

My favorite Audible purchase ever is the entire Sherlock Holmes collection narrated by Simon Vance (there’s a version narrated by Stephen Fry, too). 60+ hours of Holmes goodness for one credit, best deal ever! I also listened to all of Kate Morton’s books narrated by Caroline Lee, and particularly loved The Lake House and The Secret Keeper.

• elizabeth kay booth 10/13/2017 at 11:36 am

Focusing on gratitude always helps me get in a good frame of mind too. :)