I started this post last month, but before I knew it, June flew by and now we’re just days away from August. But don’t count your pumpkin spice lattes yet, people; there’s plenty of summertime left to enjoy! Here are some of the the things I’m loving this month, from the warm-weather wardrobe basics I’m living in, to my summer beauty essentials, to the meal subscription delivery service that helped me get my weeknight cooking mojo back.
• My go-to outfit this summer is an easy combination of a strappy cami or black cotton tank and denim: usually my Everlane ‘Kick Crop’ jeans in the light blue wash, a pair of black ankle-length skinnies, or these distressed skinny crops. Then I throw on the $18 nude sandals I’m living in or a pair of leather mules, toss all my stuff in a big leather tote, and I’m out the door.
• I’m loving a wider-leg cropped jean this season. The look is so fresh, and the style feels less constrictive than body-hugging skinnies in the summer heat and humidity. I’m especially into these Everlane kick-crops in off-white that can transition into winter with chunky sweaters and ankle boots.
• I found my new favorite basic tees, y’all, and they’re $8 at Target. I stockpiled two styles in a variety of neutral colors and stripes: this cotton v-neck pocket tee and this scoop-neck tee in a rayon/spandex blend with a nice drape. I went up two sizes in both styles for a loose fit that skims off the body; a tip I picked up last year from KarenBritChick’s helpful video about how to make inexpensive clothes look chic.
• If you love messy beach waves in the summer — or year-round *hand-raising emoji* — the IGK Beach Club texture spray is the real MVP. I bought it after watching Brad Mondo’s beach wave tutorial and now I never want to be without it: it gives my fine, straight hair some grit and grip without feeling crunchy or sticky, and it’s paraben-, sulfate- and phthalate-free. I spray it all throughout my hair, from roots to ends, before I go in with a curling iron or my Babyliss Miracurl (#obsessed). When I’ve curled my whole head, I let the curls cool a bit, then comb them out with a wide-tooth comb or detangling brush for unfussy waves with lots of volume and texture. I finish it off with a flexible-hold hairspray, like this one from Ouai. (Want to see some seriously satisfying Instagram action? Check out @combthecurls.)
Bath + Body
• My skin gets pretty dry in the summer, so I keep my shower routine as gentle as possible. I recently swapped my beloved perfumed French bar soap for SheaMoisure 100% virgin coconut oil shea butter bar soap from the drugstore, and I’m really digging it! It’s a gentle, moisturizing body cleanser with a light, fresh scent. I follow it up out of the shower with the SheaMoisture 100% virgin coconut oil for lightweight hydration. (Bonus: coconut oil leaves a subtle sheen on the skin that I think is so lovely in the summertime.) If body breakouts are an issue for you this time of year, I highly recommend their African black soap body wash.
• I’ve tried so many natural deodorants, but I always go back to Lavanila. I’m currently using the new Lavanila ‘Vanilla + Air’ Elements Deodorant, which smells amazing and holds up for 12-18 hours of normal daytime wear before I notice I need to freshen up. When I need a deodorant with extra muscle — i.e., when I’m hanging outside or attending an event (hashtag introvert stress sweat) — I go for a men’s deodorant because, 1.) they work better, and 2.) I prefer spicy/earthy/woody masculine scents to powdery florals. Axe ‘Night’ is my fave and smells like lavender and cardamom.
• We’re on the fifth week of our HelloFresh subscription and believe me when I tell you it has changed my life. I enjoy cooking healthy dinners for C and me, but I loathe meal planning for the week. This meal subscription service takes all the guesswork out of what to make for dinner, and each recipe includes the perfect amount of every ingredient so we don’t any waste. We’re on the 3 meals/week plan with Monday delivery, and it’s about $60 per week (which I think is cheaper than shopping for all the ingredients in each recipe to cook for just two people). It’s become my favorite way to unwind in the evening: I listen to a podcast, whip up that night’s recipe — while learning a trick or two about sauces, helpful kitchen shortcuts, etc. — and then enjoy a nice meal with C. Most of the meals can be prepared with one pan and a baking sheet, so cleanup is easy-breezy. Dax Shepard’s Armchair Expert is still one of my favorite podcasts, and you can use his discount code ‘DAX30’ for $30 off your first week of HelloFresh.