Friday’s Five

01/11/2019 10 Comments
Hand-tied bridal bouquet with white garden roses, pink lisianthis, and burgundy gerbera daisies, hypericum berries and spray roses.

Friday’s Five

01/11/2019 10 Comments
Round pan of break-and-bake cinnamon rolls fresh out of the oven

I’ve had a craving for cinnamon rolls for months, since I watched Binging With Babish make a batch from scratch; Andrew’s YouTube channel is one of my favorites for cooking tips and recipes, and if you’re into good food you should subscribe, too. I picked up a can of break-and-bakes on my last trip to the grocery store and popped them in the oven last Sunday morning while C was at the gym — one of us has our priorities straight in the new year and I think we all know it’s me — and while it scratched my cinnamon roll itch, it wasn’t nearly as satisfying as Andrew’s homemade version looks.

Add ‘making cinnamon rolls from scratch’ to my list of new year’s resolutions.

Fresh floral bouquet with open blush garden roses, pink lisianthis, red gerbera daisies and assorted eucalyptus.

Our wedding coordinator, Shanna, is kicking of 2019 with a month full of weddings. I wish the blog had smell-o’-vision so you could appreciate this lovely blush garden rose in all her sensory glory!

Red velvet cupcake sitting on a desk with Filofax personal organizer, Macbook, iPhone and assorted pens.

Valentine’s Day planning with a side of red velvet from one of our favorite local bake shops a few doors down, Sugar & Slice. This week was all about figuring out holiday specials, pre-ordering [a ton of] flowers, containers and supplies for next month, and getting a marketing plan together. Nothing boosts productivity a like cream cheese frosting sugar rush.

Stack of unread Book of the Month books on a blue console table, between a purple potted orchid plant and a taupe leather Cuyana structured tote bag.
Cuyana structured leather tote

In a recent Instagram post, one of my favorite fellow bookworms, Kayla, reminded me of all my Book of the Month picks I didn’t get around to reading last year. I went around the house this morning and collected all of them, and there were seven — you can’t see #FashionVictim by Amina Akhtar at the bottom of the stack — that I need to catch up on. I’m trying a ‘no-buy/low-buy’ shopping strategy for 2019 (more on that next week) and books are included on the list; I clearly have more than I know what to do with, and I don’t need to buy any new books until I make a substantial dent in my unread stacks.

(C brought this orchid back from the dead late last fall, and she’s thriving in the new year. You go, orchid!)

Illume Copper Leaves candle in enamel tin with wood lid on a faux marble tray in with potted birds nest fern and gold pot filled with fresh yellow tulips

I don’t light candles around the house too often because C usually comes behind me and blows them out five minutes later because he says it’s ‘enough’ — someone please tell that man a candle needs time to do her best work! — but this Copper Leaves fragrance from our Illume collection at the shop is one we both love, and that manages to stay lit for the long haul.

• Sara Mac 01/13/2019 at 11:09 pm

I neeeed to know how he brought that orchid back. What are y’alls tricks?

• Jess (Silex in the City) 01/13/2019 at 1:03 pm

That cupcake looks to die for. Can’t wait to see all the Valentine content you come up with. Always love seeing your florals + window displays for the shop. Happy planning!

• Keira Lennox 01/13/2019 at 1:24 pm

Thanks, Jess! I’m hoping to remember to take lots of photos/videos of the holiday madness to share here! ;)
      (And that cupcake was as good as it looks.)

• Jess (Silex in the City) 01/13/2019 at 1:48 pm

You always seem to remember. Always inspired by the beautiful shots + colors. Have a great week.

• Rachel C 01/12/2019 at 12:03 am

Those flowers are gorgeous!

• Madi 01/11/2019 at 6:17 pm

Hi Keira! I had been wanting to make homemade cinnamon rolls forever and finally went through with it New Years Day. I used this recipe >>> https://www.foodiecrush.com/best-cinnamon-rolls-recipe/ <<< and they were INCREDIBLE. Good luck!

• Keira Lennox 01/13/2019 at 1:25 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe, Madi!! You’ve convinced me that it’s totally worth it to take the time and go homemade. I’m doing it! :)

• Kayla | A Paper Arrow 01/11/2019 at 2:47 pm

That candle sounds like a little piece of heaven!

I’m excited to hear more about the no buy/low buy strategy.

And The Last Time I Lied is sooooo good! I read the whole thing while I waited overnight for a Moe’s to open (and receive a free year of burritos, lol). Thank you for the mention. <3

• Keira Lennox 01/13/2019 at 1:26 pm

Our mutual love of Moe’s is just one more reason I’m convinced we’d be best friends if we lived in the same area, Kayla.

Now I’m contemplating a GrubHub order just for queso… lol.