The Chic Filofax Planning System I Can’t Live Without

02/25/2019 30 Comments
Filofax The Original A5 Planner in Patent Nude

The Chic Filofax Planning System I Can’t Live Without

02/25/2019 30 Comments

Editor’s Note: This post first appeared on the blog on 9/7/16, and I still love my Filofax Original A5; I carry it with me every day and use it as a calendar, daily planner, goal tracker, and list manager. It was one of my best purchases as a small business owner: it helps me keep it together; feels like a stylish accessory; and is a customizable system that I really enjoy using. I just buy fresh inserts every year, and I’m good to go!

As much as I’d love to be the kind of modern woman who can organize her entire life in her iPhone, I just can’t do it. I like my organization old-school: a classic day planner is my lifeline to my schedule, to-do lists, notes, and overall sanity. If I don’t physically write things down, they’re good as forgotten, and I like having everything in one convenient and portable place (otherwise, I’ll just scratch notes on old receipts and drink napkins and lose them forever in the detritus at the bottom of my handbag).

After trying many planners over the years, I found that the best options for me are customizable binder systems with a variety of separately-purchased inserts. This way I can buy exactly what I need, skip the extras I don’t — lookin’ at you, address book pages — and create my own tabs to build an organization system that’s perfect for me.

I invested in a leather Filofax A5 Personal Organizer in Patent Nude and my organization game feels all grown up and fancy.

Open Filofax A5 Original Organizer in Patent Nude with Rifle Paper Co. floral notebook , leopard print iPad sleeve and coffee cup on a desk.

(Leopard iPad sleeve is an beloved favorite from Hautelook, but you can find a similar one here!)

Filofax offers a range of binder sizes, from pocket-sized to portfolio. I went with the A5 because I have a lot of junk to keep track of; I wanted to have plenty of room for scheduling and writing, and also let it double as a daily bullet journal.

The quality leather binder is durable and the perfect size to carry around in a tote bag or backpack. I stash a few business cards in the credit card slot, keep a pretty Rifle Paper notebook in the pocket for all my wedding notes, and clip important things I don’t want to forget right to the front with a giant gold paperclip, like bank deposits, bills that are due, and flower/supply lists.

img_4885

As far as the customizable inserts, I really like the Filofax Daily Business Style refill pack: there’s a full column to schedule your day, plus sections for your to-do list, phone/correspondence tasks, tasks to delegate, and personal reminders. I use the Filofax To Do List sheets to manage all my blog and personal tasks, and have a small section of plain ruled paper for miscellaneous notes.

img_4884

Editor’s Note: This year, I upgraded my plain dividers with these marble dividers.

If you’re a fellow #planneraddict and it’s in your budget, I highly recommend investing in a Filofax. They last for years, and come in a range of colors and sizes to suit everyone’s planning style. Last year, they released a marble binder that I’m super into!

• milliemondays 02/15/2017 at 11:36 am

love this!
    I also love your leopard print ipad case!! Where I it from?

I have just written a post about my rose gold Filofax! I would love it if you xcould check it out :)

• Ashley M 01/28/2017 at 11:55 pm

I was considering a Filofax in Nude but I ended up getting the Kate Spade Wellesley ( I think I may end up purchasing the Filofax sometime down the road),

• Azubuike Christian Nwankpa 12/02/2016 at 2:18 pm

Easy pack with all in one

• trippingthrifty 10/15/2016 at 2:01 pm

I feel the same way. My Filofax is all about me. My social life appears to be in my phone!

• Prashant Thomas 10/12/2016 at 3:38 pm

OMG do i seriously have to like these :)

• Keira Lennox 10/12/2016 at 7:36 pm

Ha! That’s exactly how I felt about them, and then I finally caved and bought one.

• critiqueofpurefashion 09/19/2016 at 11:34 am

Definitely makes me want to write my shopping lists on more than the crumpled receipts at the bottom of my bag. you’re an inspriation

• Makarena 09/16/2016 at 9:10 pm

Lovely planner! Planners like these make me want to buy one and get organized lol :)

• meganhurst 09/10/2016 at 5:59 am

Love Filofax! One of the best planners ☺️

• Keira Lennox 09/09/2016 at 10:28 am

I just peeked at the Filofax website and they have a French site! http://www.filofax.fr/

• teganontoast 09/08/2016 at 3:38 pm

This is amazing! I just moved to Paris and left my trusty diary at home, so was looking to get something new… and this looks amazing! the colour is so lush as well. I’ll have to see where it’s available in France! xo

• La Chica de los Hoyuelos. 09/08/2016 at 1:14 pm

I need it!! ✨✨✨🦄

• lifeaccordingtojamie 09/07/2016 at 7:15 pm

I need a giant paperclip in my life!

• Keira Lennox 09/08/2016 at 11:05 am

I found them at Office Depot a few years ago! :)

• TheFallibleQueen 09/07/2016 at 5:30 pm

I’ll have to try this planner out, it looks so convenient and the nude color is beautiful 💕

• Keira Lennox 09/08/2016 at 11:06 am

I really love the color, too. And the leather is a really nice quality; it doesn’t scuff or mark easily, which I was worried about with such a light color.

• TheFallibleQueen 09/08/2016 at 4:35 pm

Yeah those are things I would worry about too. Thanks for letting me know :)

• erikadvm 09/07/2016 at 5:27 pm

Im with you! I like my planning the old school way and this planner is just that and so cute on top of it! I hadn’t heard of this particular one but now that I have, I want it <3 Its perfect for the new season and its beautiful, thanks for sharing it :)
    xo Erika

• Keira Lennox 09/08/2016 at 11:07 am

I don’t remember how I originally heard of Filofax planners, but I definitely recommend them! I love when form meets function. :)

• erikadvm 09/08/2016 at 2:28 pm

Completely agree :) Have a really great day!

• Daniela Soriano 09/07/2016 at 3:11 pm

This is an amazing planner!

• cbecker53 09/07/2016 at 12:45 pm

I’m surprised that you’re old school. I love my online and mobile calendars and notes. I still write a lot of things down, but a lot less.

• Keira Lennox 09/08/2016 at 11:08 am

There’s just something about pen-to-paper that I really love. :)

• Hillary 09/07/2016 at 11:39 am

Ah! I love a good organizational/planner post!

• KimandMakeup 09/07/2016 at 10:56 am

I love that you can customize it and leave out all the unnecessary pages!

• Mom, Miles, and Mishaps 09/07/2016 at 9:24 am

UGH…. I am the same way! I have just recently started using my iPhone as my calendar but I sorely miss my planner! I need to write things down as well, but like you, I LOVE my planners! I am a stationery snob! I want to move IN to the Stationery place in Lakeland and just SHOP to my heart’s content!!! :-)

This post made me realize even more how MUCH I need to get back to my beloved planner! Kate Spade…here I come!!

• Keira Lennox 09/08/2016 at 11:11 am

Gurrrrl, I could write a whole other post on stationery! (In fact, I should!)

I haven’t been to Stationery Loft in Lakeland but I’ve heard so many wonderful things about it. I need to pop in there. I wanted to go to one of their calligraphy classes, too!

• Mom, Miles, and Mishaps 09/25/2016 at 10:56 pm

Please dedicate a whole
        Post on stationery AND floral arrangements (for those of us who
        DESPERATELY want to do it but can’t!!)

• Brandie Sellers 09/07/2016 at 8:36 am

I got into using Filofax a few years ago and love it! Although this year I’ve been trying the whole ‘Pretty planning” thing with stickers and haven’t used my Filofax as often. It didn’t really work for me and the stickers were too much money to keep up with, my planning habits went down the drain, and I went back to my Filofax, though my planning habits haven’t been what they were. I think it’s just my whole planning year has been off kilter with the change.

• Keira Lennox 09/08/2016 at 11:14 am

I’m so fascinated by the whole creative planning community! I’ve watched several YouTube videos about it, and found a few cool blogs about customizing your planner and letting it serve as a kind of scrapbook/journal. I was afraid that if I focused too much on the design stuff, I’d lose track of my original intention with the purchase, which is to just keep all my stuff organized, ha! I think that’s why I love the Filofax so much, it’s beautiful in its simplicity, and I really enjoy using it and carrying it around with me.