The common theme of my bookmarks, Pins and saved Instagrams last week was fresh spring color: from accessories and outerwear in fun fruity hues; to the perfect bold lip with an innovative balm-meets-melted lipstick formula; to a set of orange dining room chairs I couldn’t stop thinking about until I found them in the most unexpected place. Plus, the juicy tell-all about daytime television that I binged in a weekend and more. Let’s dive in!
(Featured image via Lisa Says Gah! from their ‘Muse Monday’ series, a fun dose of creative eye candy to start your week.)
• I’m surprisingly on board with the 90s throwback hair slide trend this spring; I had a collection of ‘fancy’ faux pearl hair barrettes as a kid that I loved pulling out for special occasions, and I may need to drop $3 on this one from Forever 21 to dress up my weekday topknots.
• Sign me up for silky turban headbands, too; especially in an animal print. It’s the perfect solution for a bad/dirty hair day, and looks like you artfully tied a vintage scarf around your head. This particular piece is $250 (say what?!) but ASOS has a cute dupe for $10.
• I spent Sunday morning shopping for accessories for a bridal editorial shoot I’m styling this month for @thewhmag, and one of the items on my wishlist was a suede or leather biker jacket in a fresh spring shade to throw over a formal gown; think coral, robins egg blue or blush. During the search, I stumbled on this sunny yellow number, and I really, really want it. (I ordered this ‘dusty coral’ faux leather moto jacket for under $100 for the photo shoot.)
• I first spotted a pair of velvet Loeffler Randall mules on Grace last year, and they’ve been on my wishlist ever since. They’re on sale at Farfetch in a gorgeous rusty orange for 60% off, and I’m *this close* to pulling the trigger; I know I’d wear them on repeat this summer.
• If you’re looking for real-life style and beauty inspiration on IG, @whatkatekinds is my latest favorite follow. Kate seems like a lady I’d want to hang out with IRL; we share an appreciation for a well-edited wardrobe and an excess of lip products.
• Bobbi Brown recently released a line of Crushed Liquid Lipsticks in a range of flattering nudes and bold pops of color, and I want every shade in my collection. So far I have two, Give a Fig and Juicy Date, and I love the formula: it goes on like a hydrating balm but packs lots of color that wears comfortably for hours. I think Bobbi Brown really nails it with their lip formulas and color selection, and they’re a little luxury that’s worth the splurge. They’re hosting a friends and family sale on their website through April 20th, offering 25% off everything + a full-size product with a $75 purchase, so it’s a perfect time to stock up on favorites (like the cult fave Vitamin Enriched Face Base) or try something new!
• I follow a lot of makeup artists on Instagram, but whenever Antoinette pops up in my feed, I stop scrolling to stare at her colorful creations and marvel over her skills.
• Jamie French made a parody imagining if YouTube beauty gurus existed in 1999, and I am deeply triggered by my high school hair and makeup choices. (And ROTFL! *wink*)
• I’m not a Kardashian fan, but I have to admit: I enjoyed Kourtney’s guide to ‘natural-ish’ makeup with Vogue and learned a thing or two from her routine.
• Forgive me if I shared this already, but I love this piece on Glamour.com about women in their 20s and 30s embracing their gray hair. My last dye job was three summers ago (whew, time is flying!) and my color is completely natural now, which includes an ever-increasing number of shimmery silver strands. My aversion to hair maintenance outweighs the f*cks I give about my grays, and my ultimate aging goal is silver fox status.
Home Sweet Home
I follow #urbanjunglebloggers on Instagram for a daily dose of houseplant inspo in my feed. I instantly fell in love with this California-casual dining space and made it my mission to get my paws on a set of orange dining chairs. Y’all,I found them at Walmart, of all places! I ordered two sets of 2 for our dining room and I’m so excited for them to arrive.
Fun Listens to Kick Off Your Week
• If you’re a Housewives fan and you’re not already following the Bitch Sesh podcast, go subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or your preferred podcast app. Two friends and comics, Casey and Danielle, break down each week’s Bravo shows with various special guests and the occasional dramatic reading/musical number, and every episode makes me cackle out loud. (I’ve even gone deep into the archives because I just can’t get enough.) Last week they posted a live show with Jason Mantzoukas — my favorite improv genius from another side-splitting podcast, How Did This Get Made? — and Jessica Chaffin, and I listened to it on a delivery run and laughed so hard people probably thought I was having some sort of breakdown in my car.
• This weekend, I binged the new book, Ladies Who Punch: The Explosive Inside Story of ‘The View’ by award-winning journalist, Ramin Setoodeh, on Audible. I heard about the juicy tell-all on another podcast I love, Who Weekly, — a gloriously snarky podcast that ‘tells you everything you need to know about the celebrities you don’t,’ — and thought it would be a fun way to kill some time. I haven’t watched The View in years (decades?) besides catching trending clips on YouTube here-and-there, but I found the book really interesting and couldn’t stop listening once I started. Through a combination of research and personal interviews with View cast members and production, Setoodeh takes a deep dive into the history of the daytime talk show — from its conception by Barbara Walters in 1997 to the present day panel — and discusses its evolution through a lens of politics and pop culture with plenty of behind-the-scenes drama.