I love reading ‘what’s in my bag’ posts on other blogs. In the spirit of celebrating the start of summer, I thought I’d share what packed in my beach bag for our last trip. Besides the basic essentials — several bottles of SPF, a soft lightweight blanket to lie on/under (sometimes you need a full-body break from the rays) and a big bag of Sour Patch Kids — these are some of my favorite things to have on-hand for a day in the sun.
• My spill-proof Corkcicle insulated canteen keeps my iced tea cold all day. I throw a metal straw in my bag to drop in the canteen when I remove the lid, and I’m good to go. (Mine is a collaboration with Rifle Paper Co., and you can also find it in our gift boutique!)
• I’m a big fan of the Vita Liberata Body Blur Instant HD Skin Finish, which is like an instant-tan-in-a-bottle with a clean/organic formula. My legs rarely see the light of day, so I feel more confident in a swimsuit after a light layer of this body ‘makeup’: it has the tiniest hint of shimmer with a ‘blur’ effect that’s really lovely on the skin; and it’s water resistant, so it holds up well through a day in the sun. (A note: it’s not completely transfer-proof, so I avoid using it with light-colored fabrics.)
• I, for one, am very happy about the return of the turban headband trend for summer. I picked up a handful at a local outlet store before our last beach trip, and loved that they kept all those pesky windblown flyaways out of my face. Of course, I’m particularly fond of the animal print iterations, and Amazon has an assorted pack of 4 for $9.
• You’ll never find me at the beach/pool/lake without a big sun hat. I want all the sun protection I can get, and I also find the heat much more bearable throughout the day with the extra shade. (The one in the photo above is from Target.)
• These large shower sheets that ‘clean, revitalize and naturally deodorize’ on-the-go are a relatively new find for me. I keep one or two in my handbag — they’re like a freshness security blanket in case my natural deodorant lets me down — but they’re especially handy for a wipe-down during/after a sweaty day in the sun. The peppermint oil in the formula is nice and cooling, and they’re alcohol-free so they’re gentle on the skin. (I also love that they’re biodegradable and compostable.)
* Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase from these links, I may earn a commission on the sale.
• I’ll always prefer paper books to e-readers, but for the sake of reducing weight and bulk, I do all my beach/poolside reading on my Kindle Paperwhite. It’s glare-free and backlit, so it’s easy to see in the sun — unlike my iPad/iPhone screens — and I can download books from the public library for free or buy titles straight from the Kindle’s home screen. (I found the marble case on Amazon!)
• I always make sure to have a lip product with sunscreen in my beach bag. If you want a drugstore option, the Neutrogena Moistureshine Lip Soother Gloss with Spf 20 is a great pick under $6 with lots of shine. My other favorite is the nourishing Kiehl’s Butterstick Lip Treatment SPF 30 in the shade ‘naturally nude’ for a wash of neutral color + protection.
• I leave my regular wallet at home and opt for a small leather card case to hold my ID, one credit card, and some cash. If I happen to lose it on the beach, I only have to worry about canceling one card. (I’m always prepared for the worst-case scenario, ha!)
Which summertime essentials are in your beach bag?
(My beach tote is by a brand we carry in the gift boutique at Lasater Flowers! It’s one of my summertime staples, and is super durable for a woven bag.)