In a time when many of us are thinking about ways to shop/spend less and get creative with the resources we have on hand, a summer capsule wardrobe remix feels right as rain. If you’re in a style rut while working from home/quarantining/homeschooling/etc., a remix challenge is the perfect way to reset your creativity and get a fresh perspective on your closet!
Longtime readers know the remix drill, but if you’re new around here, check out this post from the archives for all the details.
The 30×30 Remix CliffsNotes: To start, pick 30[ish] seasonal pieces from your closet that play well together. For example, tried-and-true basics, your favorite denim, a handful of ‘completer’ pieces like jackets and cardigans, and a few fun wildcards. Then, over the course of 30 days, mix-and-match them into 30+ unique outfits. Most importantly, see if you can take a break from shopping/buying new things while you do it. (Originally created by Kendi Everyday.)
I kicked off my summer capsule wardrobe last month. Originally, I planned to cull my summer capsule wardrobe down to 30 pieces for a true #30x30remix. But after spending way too much time over-thinking it, I finally settled on 33. The beautiful thing about a remix challenge is that you can make your own rules; you do you, boo.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links denoted by a ‘*’; I may earn a commission from the retailer if you make a purchase from an affiliate link.
The summertime sandals in my capsule :: TKEES leather flip flops*; Zara vinyl mules; Calvin Klein nude leather mules*; Schutz kitten heel thongs*; Senso croc heel slides*; strappy orange heels (Zara last summer); tie-dye ankle wrap kitten heel (Zara last summer); Zara baby blue block heel.
A few notes on this year’s lineup:
- I picked a lot of shoes. You may prefer to simplify your shoe selection and put more clothing items in your capsule. My everyday uniform is usually something really simple + a fun shoe, so I gave myself plenty of options.
- I kept the palette super neutral, with a handful of playful prints and a few bright pops of color. This makes remixing a whole lot easier. (Plus, the older I get, the more I lean towards a closet filled with black, white and blue.)
- I know you’re thinking it’s way too hot for jackets, and you’re right. But it’s meat-locker cold in the flower shop and ‘completer’ pieces are my favorite trick for making a basic/boring outfit look put-together. You can always shed them when you get outside.
- This summer, I’m forcing myself out of my denim comfort zone. I put more shorts and skirts/dresses in this round than any other 30×30, and I’m reaching for them much more than I expected!
- I have a small stack of basic, black and white cotton tank tops on deck for layering. They aren’t included in my list, but you’ll see them pop up in my outfit roundups. This is inspired by years of admiring Anna’s seasonal capsule wardrobes. Anna always keeps a little stack of basic essentials in her capsules — like tees and tanks — for easy outfits.
Unlike a traditional 30×30 that lasts 30 days, I’m taking this summer capsule wardrobe through the season. So I plan to live in this capsule wardrobe until the end of September. In the meantime, I’ll share roundups of my remixes here on the blog, and we’ll see how many different outfits I can come up with using all 33 pieces!
Here are some of my real-life remixed outfits from July!
If you’re interested in creating a summer capsule wardrobe of your own and need a little inspiration, I made a list of the 34 pieces I’m mixing-and-matching into easy, everyday outfits through September.
My Summer Capsule Wardrobe
- boxy white t-shirt
- oversized white tunic top
- black knit short sleeve shirt
- neon yellow knit tee
- blue silky drape-front camisole
- black linen popover shirt
- white cotton button-down shirt*
- olive green button-down shirt
- silk leopard blouse
- blue flowy shirt (2-pc set)
- silky leopard slip skirt (similar under $40*)
- black windowpane shorts*
- flowy blue shorts (2-pc set)
One-Piece Wonders (3)
- ivory super-soft jean coveralls*
- olive oversized shirt dress
- little black day dress
- black lightweight blazer
- denim jacket
- cropped beige denim jacket
- boxy denim shirt jacket
- oversized beige cardigan*
- Levi’s distressed wedgie skinny jeans*
- Farleigh high-rise mom jeans*
- white straight-leg ankle jeans
- Levi’s jean shorts (wedgies I cut into shorts for summer)
Summer Sandals (8)
- tie-dye ankle wrap kitten heels
- strappy orange and nude heels
- lilac leather flip flops*
- clear mules with lucite heels
- black croc-embossed slides
- black kitten heel flip flops*
- nude leather mules
- baby blue block heel mules