i need a break from reality…

stripe and lace tee (Beall’s Outlet on the super cheap) | lace shirt (Macy’s clearance last year) | Tommy Hilfiger black skinnies | Target boots (2009) | Coach Swingpack cross-body (a pretty penny, available online)

television, that is.

{I just heard the collective gasps from all of my close girlfriends, who I’m sure are floored by this news.}

You see, reality TV is one of my most hardcore vices. When I’m planted in front of the tube (which is more often than I’d like to admit any time I have a spare moment) I don’t deviate far from my trifecta of networks: BRAVO, Style, and E!. I know the names of every Real Housewife from Coto de Caza to Hotlanta; I can probably identify all of their husbands, baby daddies, and children, too. The drama just sucks me in, but it’s gotten a little much for me lately.

My irritation with the trifecta began a few weeks ago, when the Real Housewives of New Jersey reunion aired and Teresa made me want to drive dull pencils into my eyeballs. Then the whole Kardashian mess exploded early this week, and it was the intervention I needed to bring me back to, well, reality. You know, the real kind.

I read somewhere recently that the Kardashians raked in over $65 million last year as a family. That was before the sham wedding-heard-’round-the-world brought them millions more. Now, just 72 days later, the divorce news breaks — 3 weeks before E! premieres the second season of Kourtney & Kim Take New York, with previews hinting at serious trouble in paradise. Coincidence? I’m thinking not.

Bottom line: Hollywood is gross. And the reality rating train is one I’m not interested in fueling anymore. {You hear that, Ryan Seacrest? We’re done.}

So, I haven’t watched TV since Monday. Instead I’m spending my free time reading again — currently The Thorn Birds, picked up at a thrift store last week for $1 — and doing more craft projects, getting outside with the dog, listening to music, and watching classic movies. I already feel more cultured and well-rounded ;-)

Life has enough drama, backbiting, ugliness and negativity. I think I’ll take my entertainment without it from now on.

1. Lori wrote:

I watch all the Housewives and Kardashians, plus my fave channels are the Bravo, E! and Style too :) When I watched the NJ Reunion, I said “Finally, Theresa is exposed for what she is”. I was getting way too involved. I’m actually watching the Atlanta season premier as I’m typing this……lol. I need to do what you are doing, seriously. Your doing great so far….wish me luck!

Posted 11.6.11 Reply
  2. Anonymous wrote:

You have really awful grammar. Do you re-read before you post?

Posted 11.3.11 Reply
    • Anonymous wrote:

You’re a great person though! I like your style and the gist of what you’re saying!

Posted 11.3.11 Reply
  3. rhiannon wrote:

i could use a break from reality tv as well! i love your lace shirt, so cute!

Posted 11.3.11 Reply
  4. Right after reading this I went home and turned on the TV to watch the news. What were the top 3 stories? The Kardashian divorce, Justin Bieber’s alleged baby rumor, and Lindsey Lohan back in jail. I felt like I needed to go take a shower after that. Yuck. That was news? On the bright side, I’m so happy you’re getting into reading! Let me know if you need any recommendations. If you want a light young adult book, I just read Divergent and LOVED it. I can’t say enough good things about it.

Posted 11.3.11 Reply
  5. Ashley wrote:

Congrats on your reality tv breakup. Reality tv is THE worst… if you are craving some drama, just check out some fabulously scripted and well acted TV shows. At least that way you don’t feel like you are watching something “real” when you aren’t. My personal faves are: House, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy and How I Met Your Mother (comedy). Or rent some LOST dvds! :)

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in!

Posted 11.3.11 Reply
  6. anastasiac wrote:

i totally agree!! it is pretty gross…especially the way young girls lap it all up and think this is how life really is?!
    pathetic….

you will love ‘The Thorn Birds’ its so beautiful…cant-put-down kind of book!!

Posted 11.3.11 Reply
  7. i should do the same thing! i am a reality show junkie! i

Posted 11.3.11 Reply
  8. Meghann wrote:

The thorn birds is SUCH a good book. Coincidentally, I was named after my mom read the book in 1982. If you ever meet someone that spells their name MegHANN, you can be sure she’s named after Meggie Cleary!

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  9. Anne wrote:

The Thorn Birds is the best book EVER!!! and you look amazing as always!!

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  10. CessOviedo wrote:

Ugh! I’m so disappointed too! I was such a huge fan of the Kdashians but this whole circus makes me sick, my life’s drama will do ha! Loved your post felt like talking to a friend!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  11. Megan wrote:

TOTALLY agree!!! This Kardashian mess just made me sick…and feel like such a fool for fueling it!! I am sticking to my Seinfeld on DVR…I never regret that :) (course, books are a great option as well… :)) Thanks for posting this…we could all use a real reality check!!

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  12. Joanne wrote:

preach it sister! Well put:)

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  13. Terri wrote:

Bravo to you! The more I learn about the Kardashians, the more they sicken me as a group of people. On a more positive note, your top is absolutely adorable!

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  14. Loren wrote:

I feel the same way about reality TV, to much of it is based around drama, fights, and embarrassing people. I could use fewer negative forces in my life.
    I love the double lace you are wearing. Cute combo!

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  15. Kimberly wrote:

Could not agree more!!!

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  16. Christine wrote:

I don’t follow the Kardashians very closely, but the Kim K situation makes me sad. On a happier note, I love your shirt, but I’m a sucker for lace.

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  17. Good for you, girl! Love that lacy top :)

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  18. Lauren wrote:

In some weird way, I am going to miss the reality updates from you that leave me questioning who or what you are talking about. ;-) More dog park and girl’s nights? Yes ma’am, I will take that!

Posted 11.2.11 Reply

@keiralennox

• Hey, girl! 👋🏻 We have a handful of these hand-painted face vases available at @lasaterflowers that are perfect for fresh flowers, succulents, or even a catch-all bowl for keys and hair ties. (We all have one of those somewhere in our home; it may as well be cute. 😉) #floraldesign #shopsmall #summerblooms #flashesofdelight
  • I jumped on board with @kendieveryday’s #30x30remix! For the next month, I’ll mix-and-match 30 pieces from my wardrobe into 30 weekday outfits and share them in weekly roundups on the blog.

My first week of remixed outfits + my thoughts on the challenge are in today’s post at keiralennox.com. 👖
#capsulewardrobe #instastyle #ootd
  • Back to work after a relaxing weekend! But with *zero* tan to show for it; I’m never not fully-shaded and SPF’ed, wearing a giant sun hat and some kind of mumu situation on a beach.
☀️😂 👵🏼
  • Found our new favorite beach getaway spot this weekend! 🌴 #lovefl
  • If anyone needs me I’ll be at the...🍹
  • Just when I thought I couldn’t love @rafanatural coconut oil bar soap more, I started using them with these natural fiber ‘soap sacks’ and leveled up.
ICYMI, my latest blog post is a roundup of 10 random things I’m loving right now, inspired by all the great finds on @things.i.bought.and.liked. (And doing my best @mariahlleonard photography impression with this afternoon light.) ✨
Check it out at keiralennox.com.