it’s a keeper

04/02/2013 18 Comments

it’s a keeper

04/02/2013 18 Comments

Have you seen Bethenny Frankel’s Blue Fly Closet Confessions*? In the beginning of the video, she says, “I’m not a keeper. I mean, I’m a keeper, but I’m not a keeper.” I couldn’t have said it better myself, Ms. Frankel.

I don’t hold on to clothes for a long time. I’m not a one-and-done wearer — anymore — but I like to keep my closet fresh and clutter-free, so every six months or so I weed out the pieces that are feeling stale and pass them on to friends or donate them to the local women’s center. But there are a small handful of special items that have stood the test of time and are still in regular rotation.

This bow blouse is one of them. It was one of the first pieces I purchased from my friend, Meghan, when she opened her boutique, m.marie, back in the fall of 2009. I’ve paired it with pencil skirts when I worked in an office, worn it under a faux fur vest for New Years Eve, and thrown it over a cami with jeans more times than I can count. I’ve bought many things from m.marie since then, but I think this “original” will always be one of my favorites!

* Sidebar: I love being all Peeping-Tom-Creeper in other people’s closets, ya’ll. If you’ve shared the innards of your wardrobe on your blog, share a link in the comments!

Recreate it:

recreate4-2-13
Modcloth Flash Fete Top ($38), Nasty Gal python clutch ($48); Gap Always Skinny jeans ($70)

• juliesway 04/18/2013 at 9:43 am

Love your clutch

• prettysmartcookie 04/14/2013 at 10:58 pm

ooh! Very pretty!!!! and great smile too!!!!

• dideeblogs 04/11/2013 at 3:50 am

I have a similar top! Except its a short sleeve

• mylifeinmascara 04/08/2013 at 9:36 pm

I absolutely love this outfit from head to toe, the blouse, the shoes, the bag! This is right up my alley! Thanks for sharing :)
    Xo, Aida

• heelsandpeplum 04/06/2013 at 8:44 am

Great outfit!! I love it!

• palegirllife 04/05/2013 at 2:37 am

I wish I was a keep and release clothes lady like you! I have so many different piles of clothes in my room right now I look like a hoarder. I always feel like I can transform an old piece with something new, but I just drown myself with more clothes. Hopefully someday they’ll cycle back in style!

• buttonsandbirdcages 04/04/2013 at 9:59 pm

I LOVE that top! Its beautiful on you, really makes your eyes pop!

Buttonsandbirdcages.wordpress.com

• "They'llNeverKnow..." 04/04/2013 at 9:47 pm

Ha! It’s nice to know that someone else out there practices the same slightly obsessive clothing behaviors that I do lol I used to one and done, but found that quarterly closet cleaning is much more effective! In fact, it’s the perfect excuse for a swap party! What’s stale for you could be stylish for a friend! And it’s not like you have to say goodbye for good!

• Pia 04/04/2013 at 8:00 pm

What a great top!
    It is definitely a Keeper.

Pia
    pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

• denimfish 04/04/2013 at 11:44 am

Yes me too!

• denimfish 04/04/2013 at 7:17 am

I wish I wasn’t a keeper but the minute I let something go I am looking for it thinking, that would be perfect to go with this new …….! or I see my mother wearing it and think! Damn that looks good. lol :)

• keiralennox 04/04/2013 at 11:16 am

Ha! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve given items away to family, and then later when I see them wearing it I’m all, “Dang! I should’ve kept that!” ;-) I’m trying not to be so overzealous with the closet purging these days, and shop smarter so that I buy things I really love and will want to hold on to.

• Kayla 04/03/2013 at 11:59 am

The top is gorgeous. Definitely keep it as log as it lasts. I love creeping in on people’s closets too.

Memoirs & Mochas

• crazyoldratlady 04/03/2013 at 9:49 am

The bow on the front of the blouse makes it look really pretty, feminine & playful whilst the sheerness of the fabric gives it a sexy edge. All in all, a winner as well as a keeper.

• lauramdb 04/03/2013 at 2:09 am

That is a great top! Plus it suits you very well!

Erm if you want you can peep at the new things I have…

• Kathryn 04/02/2013 at 11:37 pm

I love this! It’s so so cute :)

• kelsey 04/02/2013 at 10:18 pm

that top is so gorgeous! you’re very pretty in black chiffon
    kw ladies in navy

• Emily (@SassyinSequins) 04/02/2013 at 7:06 pm

I’m not usually a fan of bow blouses but this looks great on you! The black keeps it mature yet playful. I love it!