it’s a keeper

Have you seen Bethenny Frankel’s Blue Fly Closet Confessions*? In the beginning of the video, she says, “I’m not a keeper. I mean, I’m a keeper, but I’m not a keeper.” I couldn’t have said it better myself, Ms. Frankel.

I don’t hold on to clothes for a long time. I’m not a one-and-done wearer — anymore — but I like to keep my closet fresh and clutter-free, so every six months or so I weed out the pieces that are feeling stale and pass them on to friends or donate them to the local women’s center. But there are a small handful of special items that have stood the test of time and are still in regular rotation.

This bow blouse is one of them. It was one of the first pieces I purchased from my friend, Meghan, when she opened her boutique, m.marie, back in the fall of 2009. I’ve paired it with pencil skirts when I worked in an office, worn it under a faux fur vest for New Years Eve, and thrown it over a cami with jeans more times than I can count. I’ve bought many things from m.marie since then, but I think this “original” will always be one of my favorites!

* Sidebar: I love being all Peeping-Tom-Creeper in other people’s closets, ya’ll. If you’ve shared the innards of your wardrobe on your blog, share a link in the comments!

Recreate it:

recreate4-2-13
Modcloth Flash Fete Top ($38), Nasty Gal python clutch ($48); Gap Always Skinny jeans ($70)

1. juliesway wrote:

Love your clutch

Posted 4.18.13 Reply
  2. ooh! Very pretty!!!! and great smile too!!!!

Posted 4.14.13 Reply
  3. dideeblogs wrote:

I have a similar top! Except its a short sleeve

Posted 4.11.13 Reply
  4. I absolutely love this outfit from head to toe, the blouse, the shoes, the bag! This is right up my alley! Thanks for sharing :)
    Xo, Aida

Posted 4.8.13 Reply
  5. Great outfit!! I love it!

Posted 4.6.13 Reply
  6. I wish I was a keep and release clothes lady like you! I have so many different piles of clothes in my room right now I look like a hoarder. I always feel like I can transform an old piece with something new, but I just drown myself with more clothes. Hopefully someday they’ll cycle back in style!

Posted 4.5.13 Reply
  7. I LOVE that top! Its beautiful on you, really makes your eyes pop!

Buttonsandbirdcages.wordpress.com

Posted 4.4.13 Reply
  8. Ha! It’s nice to know that someone else out there practices the same slightly obsessive clothing behaviors that I do lol I used to one and done, but found that quarterly closet cleaning is much more effective! In fact, it’s the perfect excuse for a swap party! What’s stale for you could be stylish for a friend! And it’s not like you have to say goodbye for good!

Posted 4.4.13 Reply
  9. Pia wrote:

What a great top!
    It is definitely a Keeper.

Pia
    pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

Posted 4.4.13 Reply
  10. denimfish wrote:

Yes me too!

Posted 4.4.13 Reply
  11. denimfish wrote:

I wish I wasn’t a keeper but the minute I let something go I am looking for it thinking, that would be perfect to go with this new …….! or I see my mother wearing it and think! Damn that looks good. lol :)

Posted 4.4.13 Reply
    • Ha! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve given items away to family, and then later when I see them wearing it I’m all, “Dang! I should’ve kept that!” ;-) I’m trying not to be so overzealous with the closet purging these days, and shop smarter so that I buy things I really love and will want to hold on to.

Posted 4.4.13 Reply
  12. Kayla wrote:

The top is gorgeous. Definitely keep it as log as it lasts. I love creeping in on people’s closets too.

Memoirs & Mochas

Posted 4.3.13 Reply
  13. The bow on the front of the blouse makes it look really pretty, feminine & playful whilst the sheerness of the fabric gives it a sexy edge. All in all, a winner as well as a keeper.

Posted 4.3.13 Reply
  14. lauramdb wrote:

That is a great top! Plus it suits you very well!

Erm if you want you can peep at the new things I have…

Posted 4.3.13 Reply
  15. Kathryn wrote:

I love this! It’s so so cute :)

Posted 4.2.13 Reply
  16. kelsey wrote:

that top is so gorgeous! you’re very pretty in black chiffon
    kw ladies in navy

Posted 4.2.13 Reply
  17. I’m not usually a fan of bow blouses but this looks great on you! The black keeps it mature yet playful. I love it!

Posted 4.2.13 Reply

@keiralennox

• Can’t make a downtown Bartow delivery without popping into @rafanatural’s beautiful shop to restock my coconut bar soap stash; ‘Relaxation’ for me, ‘Sandalwood’ for the husband. 🛁 #shopsmall #shoplocal #rafanatural
  • #mondaymotivation courtesy of this neighborhood truck on our morning walk. 😉
  • Doakie’s got those Friday feels. ☺️💕 #dogsofig #tgif #instagood
  • New motivational reads for my #werk stack, inspired by @larsbookclub. These are my favorite kinds of books to enjoy and then share with friends and my flower shop team. 💕 #bookstagram #larsbookclub #booksofig #goodreads #joyful
  • Busy days are our favorite days. 💕 Kicking our feet up after a long day and feeling so grateful for our special clients who trust us to help them ‘say it with flowers’ for all kinds of occasions. #shoplocal #shopsmall #floristlife
  • Kindness, always. 💕