two years later…

07/15/2014 15 Comments

two years later…

07/15/2014 15 Comments

20140715-111022-40222115.jpg

Flashback to last week, when I pretended my lifestyle is conducive to white jeans on a weekday (hint: it isn’t; not shown: the big lily pollen stain just to the side of the rip on my knee).

It’s summertime and the livin’ is [relatively] easy. I’m forcing myself to work shorter days, take a few afternoons off, and make time for the creative projects that collected dust on my to-do list.

It’s taken C and I years to adjust to the seasonal swing of our business. We used to spend the summer months in a panic, biting our nails and stressing over the drop in sales as if each July marked the floral industry end times. Now that we’re old pros (ha – who am I kidding?) we let ourselves take advantage of the downtime to recharge our batteries and prep for the upswing.

At the start of this month, we celebrated our second anniversary of officially owning the family flower shop. I remember how excited — and nervous — we were to move into our current space and start this adventure together. In some ways it feels like yesterday, but at the same time, my life before entrepreneurship feels like another existence.

C and I were chatting recently about how far we’ve come in the last couple of years, and I confessed to him that I truly believe our business saved me. I casually throw around the term Quarter Life Crisis when describing my mid-20s, but truthfully, I was in a dark place. The flower shop gave me a fresh start: a chance to flex my creative muscles, put my business degree to use, and stay too busy to think about my anxieties and self-doubt. And in the daily grind of the last two years, I bloomed (forgive the cheese) into a strong and capable, albeit exhausted, B-O-S-S.

Of course, I’m still learning. In fact, just today, I finally figured out how to do my own bank reconciliations in Quickbooks. My accountants are so proud; I know because I called to tell them.

• cefashion 07/31/2014 at 12:03 am

I love white

• thebeautyarchive 07/19/2014 at 1:16 pm

Congratulations! It was nice to read a little bit more about you personally :))
    XOXO
    Veronica

• smithkassidy 07/19/2014 at 2:08 am

Congratulations! Such a meaningful post, loved that there was so much of you in it.

• Jorshaq 07/17/2014 at 10:42 am

Congratulations! I am a budding entrepreneur myself, with three children and a husband, I am finally getting around to pursuing my dream. Recently as I move forward, self doubt have been creeping in but I brushed it off and am moving forward on faith. btw: I love white…

• Reese Speaks 07/17/2014 at 6:46 am

Congrats on making it through 2 yrs in business! I hope you and C celebrate!

I love white pants! I just don’t get to wear them that often due to my underage entourage. From what we can see, you look lovely in them.

• fancydime 07/16/2014 at 6:58 pm

I’m loving your white pants.

• Linda 07/16/2014 at 9:43 am

Happy Anniversary Keira! You inspire me everyday as a business owner (of a beautiful flower shop, no less). May this year continue to bless both of you!

• henleyrooms884 07/16/2014 at 8:43 am

Congratulations, I would like to say running your own business gets easier or you just learn to read it better x

• alisasibrova 07/16/2014 at 5:30 am

Congratulations on such a life mile stone! Keep it up!

• thefashionistile 07/16/2014 at 4:10 am

very nice look, beautiful girl and outfit…
    New post da me ti aspetto!!!

• Beth Dahleen 07/15/2014 at 10:49 pm

I am so impressed that you started your business and followed a great, out-of-the-box dream so young as well. To many more years!

• Beth Dahleen 07/15/2014 at 10:47 pm

Love the look!!! I want your shoes and a gold watch now. :)

• Traci 07/15/2014 at 7:49 pm

What an awesome story. Every part of it, especially the struggle, since certainly all go through that! Congrats on your milestone!

• Erin's Notions 07/15/2014 at 6:18 pm

Congratulations! This entry kind of spoke to me. I understand that mid-20’s freak out moment. Questioning what exactly you are doing with your life. Sounds like your life has been lead to where it needs to be, so congrats again!

• Amy 07/15/2014 at 4:33 pm

congrats on 2 year of owning the flower shop.