Crockpot Chicken Soup For the Soul (Or a Cold)

09/03/2015 19 Comments

Crockpot Chicken Soup For the Soul (Or a Cold)

09/03/2015 19 Comments

Every year around this time, my immune system kicks into overdrive for its annual throw-down with my summer allergies. It usually begins with a week of an itchy sore throat, followed by several days of head congestion and general misery, then right before I decide how much Kleenex stock I’d like to purchase, it’s over and I forget all about it until the next August.

I’m on day seven of The Mold-Spore and Ragweed Battle of 2015, and can currently only breathe from one nostril. Which is super fun and not at all disorienting! Ugh.

I made it through last week with help from a lot of hot tea and honey, and daily trips to the Thai restaurant near the flower shop for steaming bowls of takeout chicken noodle soup with red chili sauce. Give me all the scalding liquids when my throat hurts, please and thank you.

I thought I’d try my hand at homemade pho over the weekend, but even the ‘simple’ version seemed daunting. So I went to the grocery store for some basic ingredients, and made a lazy girl’s crockpot chicken soup instead.

If you’re battling allergies or a cold, or just want something hearty and easy for dinner, this soup is maximum comfort with minimal effort. There’s no point in typing out a recipe, because it’s just. so. easy. Basically, throw all this stuff in your crockpot (adjust amounts for your serving size needs) and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until the chicken is thoroughly done.

• Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cleaned really well so you don’t get any of those weird fatty bits in your soup)
  • 3-4 cups chicken stock
  • 3-4 cloves chopped fresh garlic
  • A few handfuls of fresh ‘coin-cut’ carrots
  • Diced celery
  • Diced Scallions
  • Uncooked potatoes, cubed (I used 3 small white sweet potatoes)
  • A sliced lemon
  • Ground pepper
  • Old Bay seasoning (optional)

I put some fresh kale greens into bowls and ladled the hot soup on top — the broth quick-cooks the kale — and served it with fresh sourdough from the bakery. If you want chicken noodle soup, cook the noodles separately and add them when you’re ready to serve; it’s tricky to master the timing/liquid with noodles and a crockpot, so save yourself the headache. You probably have enough of those from the sinus pressure, bless your heart.

• Dreamer Achiever 09/22/2015 at 3:00 pm

Sounds yummy! I have to put this on my to-try list :)

Btw Check my blog, I’ve a challenge for you there!

• jodikayedwards 09/15/2015 at 12:32 pm
  • jamiesoncraske 09/10/2015 at 10:15 pm

yum looks great!

• cole&kiley 09/10/2015 at 10:05 pm

This soup looks so darned good! Especially with Fall right around the corner, I’m going to have to add this to my list of recipes to try. Love your blog and your style!

-Kiley

coleandkiley.wordpress.com

• a m y p h a m. 09/10/2015 at 4:45 pm

I love crock pot recipes! I’ve made crock pot chicken tortilla soup. Super easy and turned out great! Hope you feel better soon! :)

• lotusgurl 09/09/2015 at 9:48 am

I’m def. trying this next time my bf or I get sick–gotta have that garlic in there! Great post, and feel better! Love reading your stuff <3

• Erin E. 09/07/2015 at 9:17 pm

I don’t have allergies but I am currently battling a summer cold (is it possible that a stuffy nose is even WORSE when it’s hot outside?!), and all I want is hot spicy noodle soups. Our local Vietnamese place has taken SO much of my money recently – I might have to switch it up with some at-home American comfort soup.

• ahsknaka 09/06/2015 at 6:12 am

Looks great! Gonna try.

x https://ahsknaka.wordpress.com/

• Little Voice 09/05/2015 at 8:38 pm

Hadn’t thought about adding lemon to my chicken soup. Good idea. Thanks for sharing.

• saurav352 09/03/2015 at 8:25 pm

Sounds good.
    get well soon.

• Carolina E. 09/03/2015 at 6:48 pm

I am going to try the Chicken Soup ,it sounds so good!!

• Anonymous 09/03/2015 at 3:46 pm

hope you feel better soon

• Shopaholibond 09/03/2015 at 3:39 pm

Definitely worth a try..do checkout my new blogpost https://shopaholibond.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/get-rid-of-your-old-closet-with-elanic/ and follow me if you like it :)

• tippytap143 09/03/2015 at 2:46 pm

It looks delicious and sooper yummy😊Get well soon😄

• Amanda Bella 09/03/2015 at 11:36 am

This looks so delicious! I’ve definitely been feeling a bit under the weather lately as well & this is literally what I want for dinner tonight lol. I’ve never made a chicken soup before, but may have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing! XOX

• emily80s 09/03/2015 at 10:21 am

Sorry we have a lot of allergie relaving products too.

• emily80s 09/03/2015 at 10:20 am

Have you ever tried the Nowex Silvercare toothbrush? I haven’t had a cold since i started using this.
    If you are interested in getting one or would like to check out any other wonderful environmentally friendly chemical free products we offer. Check out my website http://www.emilywhitaker.norwex.biz

• Kim Ross 09/03/2015 at 10:11 am

I hope you feel better soon Keira!

p.s. love your posts!